This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you. You help to support resin-expert.com
Granite is one of the most expensive surfaces you will have in your home. Granite is seriously strong and long-lasting, but it will need to be properly taken care of in order for it to really maintain its full potential. If you are going to invest in a beautiful piece of granite in your kitchen or bathroom, then you will need the best granite sealer to maintain this porous surface. Granite sealers come in various different forms, and they offer an easy solution to taking care of your precious countertops. If you are interested in finding the best granite countertop sealer, then follow our complete guide below for everything you need to look out for.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Granite Sealer?
- 2 Why Do You Need to Seal Granite?
- 3 What is Granite Used for?
- 4 The Different Granite Sealer Options
- 5 The Best Granite Sealer
- 5.1 Overall Best Granite Sealer: TRINOVA Granite Sealer and Cleaner
- 5.2 Best Penetrating Granite Sealer: STONE PRO Pro Sealer
- 5.3 Best Glossy Granite Sealer: SIMPLECOAT Countertop Sealer
- 5.4 Most Versatile Granite Sealer: STONETECH BulletProof Sealer
- 5.5 Best Granite Sealer Wipes: GRANITE GOLD Sealer Wipes
- 5.6 Best Granite Sealer Spray: STONE CARE International Granite Sealer and Protector
- 6 Considerations for Choosing the Best Granite Sealer
- 7 Tutorial for Sealing Granite
- 8 Tips and Tricks for Sealing Granite
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
What is Granite Sealer?
Even though granite is such a durable surface, it can still be damaged by water, staining, etching, and so on. Granite is actually a porous material, and so a sealer is used to block off the surfaces against things like water that could penetrate into the granite and cause damage to it.
The best granite sealer can be used over all types of natural stone to enhance materials lifespan. Applying granite sealer is easy to do, and it should be done regularly in order to properly maintain your surface. Sealing granite does affect the overall look of the finish, and it provides a stain-resistant layer as an added precaution for protecting the granite.
Why Do You Need to Seal Granite?
After spending so much money on your wonderful new granite countertops, the last thing that you want is for these counters to be damaged. Granite is a natural stone product, and even though it is incredibly durable, it can weather and fade over time. If granite is left untreated, it could quite easily stain, dull, lose its shine, or even crack and chip. This is because granite is a naturally porous material. If you spill any water, oil, or other liquids over its surface, this will be absorbed by the granite. Liquids that do not escape can cause internal damage which would lead to things like cracking or staining.
Granite sealers create a protective barrier over your countertops to repel liquids and prevent damage. They allow you to easily clean granite surfaces and resist any damage caused by spills. The best granite sealer maintains the original look and shine of granite over a long time. It also makes the surface easy to clean and will hold up against any general-purpose cleaners that would otherwise dull the finish of the granite. Professional granite sealers can easily be applied at home without any serious DIY experience.
What is Granite Used for?
Granite is a versatile natural stone product that can be used for a wide range of applications. This substance is well known for its rock-hard strength and durability, combined with a beautiful finish. Thanks to its prized strength, granite can be used both inside and outside. Because of this, the best granite sealers can be found for both internal and external applications.
The most common use of granite in the home is on countertops. Granite counters are commonly found in the kitchen and bathroom. These surfaces are easy to clean, maintain, long-lasting, and they offer an attractive appearance like no other substance. However, granite can be used in all sorts of other applications. It can be used in building for exterior finishes, columns, tiles, and many other design elements. Granite is also found in things like statues and decorative stone structures. Granite is an expensive material, and it is associated with a high level of quality, strength, and luxury.
The Different Granite Sealer Options
When looking for the best granite sealers, there is a range of options to consider. In order to properly maintain and protect your expensive granite surfaces, the material should be sealed for protection and cleaned. There are special granite products for each of these uses. The best granite sealers may come in a few different forms, but they all achieve the same basic function. We have outlined the three most popular methods of granite sealing below.
Penetrating Granite Sealers
As already mentioned, granite is a porous material. Penetrating sealers work by having resins that soak into these pores. The resin fills the pores, cure to a durable finish, and then protect the pores from any damage caused by water or stains. This type of granite sealer is used for stain-resistance, not stain-proofing. Instead of providing an external layer of protection, these sealers help to protect the granite from inside. This means that they do not protect the granite from things like scratches or abrasions.
Penetrating granite sealers can either be solvent-based or water-based. Both of these plug the pores of the granite, but they offer different formulas. Solvent-based formulas are a bit more toxic to work with, but are often more durable. Water-based sealers are easier and more harmless to use, but they may not offer the same level of stain-resistance that solvent-based products do.
Topical sealers are the opposite of penetrating sealers. Instead of sinking into the granite’s pores to provide a layer of internal protection, topical sealers create a barrier on the outer surface of the granite. This helps to protect the granite from scratches, marks, spills, and so on. Topical sealers generally provide quite a glossy, shiny finish over the granite. Topical sealers work best over rougher types of natural stone where there is an easier finish for the sealer to adhere to.
This is one of the reasons that topical products are not always the best granite countertop sealers. Counters are often too smooth for a good level of adhesion. These sealers can also create a layer that stops any moisture from escaping the granite surface. If this is the case, the sealer can cause cracks to happen in the granite countertop. For this reason, you must be sure to use a topical sealer that is specifically designed for countertops. You also dont want the sealer to affect the appearance of the granite too much.
Enhancing sealers are used to achieve two functions. First, they soak into the granite to protect it from stains and damage. They are also specially designed to enhance the look of any old, worn granite surfaces. Enhancing sealers provide a glossy, wet look to any countertops that need reinvigorating.
Enhancing sealers work in a similar way to penetrating granite sealers in that they sink into the pores of the stone. While they do offer a level of protection, their main function is to enhance and restore the look of the granite to a shiny, new finish.
The Best Granite Sealer
If you have invested the money into a beautiful granite countertop, then you will need to make sure that you protect it properly. With such a range of granite sealers, cleaners, and restoration products available, it can be confusing trying to find the best product for your needs. We have chosen the absolute best granite sealers in our reviews below to help make your search easier. These are suitable for all types of granite surfaces and home applications.
Overall Best Granite Sealer: TRINOVA Granite Sealer and Cleaner
This granite sealer and cleaner combination pack by TriNova is designed to offer complete care to your countertops. This is one of the best granite sealers thanks to its easy use and premium quality results. The sealer is simply sprayed onto your granite surface from the bottle and wiped into the stone for maximum results. This product works perfectly over all types of stone for an advanced caring solution.
The first part of this pack is the professional granite sealer. This spray product penetrates deeply into the granite to offer a superior protective coating. The sealer effectively keeps out stains through its pore-blocking formula. At the same time, this product offers an attractive shine to the granite to keep it looking new. A powerful blend of polymers is used to provide a permanent protective layer on the granite. This also helps to prevent other substances from sticking to the granite.
Besides the protective granite sealer, there is also the best granite cleaner included in this pack. The special granite sealer offers a premium stone care solution for cleaning granite surfaces. This product easily cleans up any surface messes on the granite and is used to completely enhance the surface’s shine. The cleaner is suitable for use on all kitchen countertops. Unlike general surface cleaners, this product does not dull the granite. Instead, it can be sued ton stone to enhance its natural shine and protect the surface against stains.
Best Penetrating Granite Sealer: STONE PRO Pro Sealer
This impregnating sealer by Stone Pro offers advanced protection for granite, marble, limestone, tile, and grout. The sealer uses solvent-based hybrid carrier technology for an advanced level of protection. This strong formula is long-lasting and offers a permanent bonding solution to fill the pores on stone surfaces. Thanks to its high level of durability, this product can be put to both interior and exterior use.
Once applied, this professional granite sealer will maintain your countertop’s original look. This is because it sinks into the pores of the surface, offering a layer of effective internal protection. Once dried, the sealer will not change color or leave any residue. It is also really easy to apply and comes in a big bottle that can be easily poured onto the granite. This all-purpose formula is completely safe for all food preparation surfaces, it is non-flammable and well suited for inexperienced users to work with. This sealer offers a high level of resistance against oil and waterborne stains.
- A solvent-based, VOC compliant formula
- A deep penetrating sealer for various stone surfaces
- Easy to apply, leaves no residue, and won't change color
Best Glossy Granite Sealer: SIMPLECOAT Countertop Sealer
This multi-purpose stone and stainless steel sealer by SimpleCoat offers a beautiful, hydrophobic seal on all types of surfaces. The product can be used over a natural stone (including granite), stainless steel, decorative metals, plastic, and more. The eco-friendly formula is completely safe to use, non-toxic, and is suitable for use on food surfaces, or to be used around pets.
This is one of the best granite sealers due to the shiny appearance that it creates. It is super easy to apply and simply wipes on and off without the need for a curing time. Once applied, this sealer offers a good level of protection against stains while maintaining the shiny, natural appearance of your granite surface. The formula has been specially designed for use on countertops. There are no odors, VOCs, or solvents involved in this product. This is one of the simplest ways to treat and protect your granite countertops, and it can be done by absolutely anyone, without any DIY knowledge or experience required.
- A multi-purpose glossy sealer for various surfaces
- Safe, non-toxic, eco-friendly formula
- Easy wipe-on application with no curing or drying time
Most Versatile Granite Sealer: STONETECH BulletProof Sealer
This is one of the absolute best granite sealers when it comes to superior protection and resistance against stains and damage. This unique, extra-strength stain protector is suitable for a wide range of interior and exterior surfaces. It can be used on natural stone to achieve great results. The sealer delivers maximum protection through its advanced water-based fluoropolymers. This water-based formula is also safer to use than solvent-based products, and easier to manage and clean up.
Each bottle provides a protective coverage of up to 100 square feet. When applied, this sealer can offer protection to interior surfaces that will last 5 years. The penetrating micro-bond helps to protect granite against water and oil-based stains. Not only does this help to make the granite surfaces easier to clean, but it also enhances and protects the natural appearance of the stone for a long time.
Best Granite Sealer Wipes: GRANITE GOLD Sealer Wipes
Applying a countertop sealer does not have to be a difficult process at all. In fact, it is just a matter of applying a quick and easy wipe. These granite sealer wipes by Granite Gold couldn’t make the process any easier. Once applied, the wipes create a barrier of surface protection that helps to protect against oil, water, wine, coffee, and various other liquids. This barrier also helps to protect against etches and soil build-up. The wipes can be applied to any type of natural stone.
The specially designed countertop wipes are not only versatile but are completely safe to use. They are created for safe use on food surfaces and are entirely non-toxic, non-acidic, pH balanced, and completely biodegradable. Each pack contains six wipes, and each wipe will be able to seal approximately 75 feet of stone.
Best Granite Sealer Spray: STONE CARE International Granite Sealer and Protector
Stone Care is a well-trusted brand when it comes to maintaining your granite surfaces. This convenient spray granite sealer and protector of theirs is one of the top products available for countertop care. The formula can be applied to any solid stone surface and it will work perfectly. This is a penetrating sealer that offers incredibly strong protection through the formation of flexible molecular links. Each application can cover an area of 75 square feet.
Not only is this one of the best granite sealers in terms of its protective barrier, but it is also safe to use. The formula contains no phosphate and ammonia, and it is completely safe to apply over any food contact surfaces. This product is also very easy to apply from the spray bottle, and it offers a streak-free formula for perfect results. For best results, this granite sealer should be applied to your countertops every six months.
- A versatile granite and stone sealer spray
- Ammonia and phosphate-free, safe for food surfaces
- A penetrating sealer for superior protective results
Considerations for Choosing the Best Granite Sealer
Clearly, there are many different options when it comes to the best granite sealer. With all of these different products available, finding the right one for your countertops can seem challenging. We have highlighted some of the key considerations below to help figure out what is the best granite sealer for your needs.
Water-Based vs Solvent-Based
The best granite sealer can take one of two different forms. It could either be water-based or solvent-based. This is one of the most important initial considerations when choosing the best granite sealer. Both options are effective, but there is a difference when it comes to the formulation vs the performance of the sealer.
Solvent-based products contain high levels of VOCs, emit strong odors, and are generally quite toxic to work with. That being said, they produce seriously durable, long-lasting results. Solvents are stronger and should hold up for a longer time. Water-based products are generally non-toxic, safe, and more eco-friendly. They are easier to work with and better for use on food preparation surfaces. However, they are often not as durable and long-lasting as solvent-based products.
Different types of granite sealers offer unique finishes. Most impregnating or penetrating sealers sink deep into the pores of the granite and do not alter the appearance of the surface. Topical sealers and enhancing sealers do change the finish of the granite though. These sealers offer an external layer of protection and are formulated for maintaining the best possible granite appearance.
Some granite sealers provide a wet-look glossy finish, while others are duller. Some leave a visible film while others dont. This all depends on the granite you are working with and the appearance that works best for it. If you are trying to restore old granite, it is best to use an enhancing sealer that offers a fresh new look.
How much space does the granite sealer cover? The best granite sealers will offer a larger amount of coverage which offers more value for money. This also allows you to make sure that you can finish the entire job with your one product. It is essential that you buy enough granite sealer for your application. If you apply an additional sealer halfway through the job, the finish and adhesion properties may be affected.
The best granite sealer should last a long time. Some sealers need to be reapplied every six months, some last five years. Always try to get a sealer that lasts as long as possible. Of course, you will probably have to pay more for a longer-lasting sealer. In the long run, however, this could save you plenty of money.
Different granite sealers come in different forms. You can get spray bottles, squeeze bottles, large pouring sealers, wipe-on sealers, and so on. While these all do the same general thing, they can vary a lot in the way that you use them. Whichever granite sealer you choose, make sure that it is in a suitable format for your project.
At the end of the day, the main factor when it comes to the best granite sealer is its durability. The best granite sealers are highly resistant to both oil and water stains and should be suitable for both internal and external use. Make sure that the sealer you choose offers enough durability for your needs.
Tutorial for Sealing Granite
Now that you understand why you need to seal granite, and have been able to find the best granite sealer, it’s time to apply it. Of course, the method of application will depend on the product you are using. As these products can vary quite a lot, make sure that you follow the guidelines included with your specific granite sealer.
However, the process of applying a countertop sealer follows the same basic principle for most products. We have created a simple step-by-step guide below for using a general penetrating granite sealer on countertops.
- Start by cleaning your granite countertop completely. This can be done with a mild kitchen surface cleaner and a damp cloth. For best results, we recommend using a specific granite surface cleaner. This will make sure that your granite is perfectly cleaned without causing any damage or unwanted effects to its appearance.
- Let the granite dry completely. You cannot apply a sealer to wet granite, as this will prevent it from adhering properly. Give the granite some time to let any moisture escape from its pores.
- Now it is time to apply the product to your countertops. You will need a cloth to do this. A lint-free option is recommended.
- Simply wet the cloth with the granite sealer and rub it over the granite. Continue the process of wiping the sealer onto the granite until the entire surface is covered. The granite should be wet with sealer, but not soaked. You must also make sure that there are no drips and runs happening down the side of the countertop. You want to achieve a completely even finish instead. Applying the sealer in small amounts is best. Of course, this process differs depending on the products. Some sealers are available in wipe-on pad forms, and some in spray bottles.
- Once applied, leave the granite sealer to dry. This is a very quick process and may only take about 10 minutes. Refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines for this information.
- Once the first layer is dried, you can apply the second coat. The process of this is the same as previously.
- Now you will need to let the sealer dry completely. Again, this will depend on the specific product that you will be using, so check the instructions. Generally, it is safe to leave the counters for 24 hours before using them again.
- And it’s that easy, your countertops are now sealed. Just pay attention to maintenance. Countertop sealers do need to be reapplied every so often, so check the product recommendations on this. And even though the sealer offers a level of resistance and protection, you should still wipe away any spills as soon as you can to prevent possible water damage.
Tips and Tricks for Sealing Granite
Applying the best granite countertop sealer is an easy and straightforward process. This is something that anyone can do at home and achieve fantastic results. Although it is easy, there are still a few tricks and tips that can make the process even more enhanced. We have highlighted these below.
- Not sure whether the granite is already sealed or not? Here is an easy way to find out. Find an area of the granite that is hidden away and apply a very small amount of oil and water – just a few drops next to each other. Wait about 15 minutes and see if this oil and water has soaked into the granite and left a dark mark. If it has, you will need to seal the granite. If not, the granite is already sealed. This can also help you to determine when to reseal your granite countertop.
- When cleaning the granite before application, we recommend doing this at least 24 hours in advance. Always try to avoid any harsh chemical cleaners. A simple homemade solution of 1 teaspoon dishwashing detergent, two tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol, and water is an effective cleaning product for this.
- When working with a granite countertop sealer, make sure that you have as much ventilation in the room as possible. Try to open the sealer outside or near a window to avoid fumes.
- Wear the correct safety equipment. Rubber gloves are necessary when wiping on the granite sealer. We also recommend wearing a protective respirator mask to avoid inhaling potentially dangerous fumes.
- Once you have applied the granite sealer, only wait around 20 minutes for it to be absorbed. If you leave it longer than this, the sealer may discolor the granite. Rather wipe away any excess sealer at this point.
- Once you have applied the granite sealer, it is still best to use special cleaning products for granite surfaces over this area. The best granite cleaner allows you to maintain the surface best – keeping its natural appearance and avoiding damaging the granite. If you use an all-purpose surface cleaner, it may cause the granite to lose its natural appearance and diminish its shiny quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does Granite Sealer Need to be Left to Dry?
While this depends on the product used, it is best to leave granite sealer for a full 24 hours before touching or using the sealed countertops.
What is the Best Granite Sealer?
If you are asking “what is the best granite sealer?”, the answer may vary depending on your needs. Generally, a deep penetrating sealer is best for most surfaces. We recommend the TriNova granite sealer and cleaner set for excellent results.
Do You Need Granite Sealer?
Without a granite sealer, the granite will absorb water and moisture which will cause marks and result in damage. The granite sealer repels moisture and maintains the look of the granite.
Finding the best granite countertop sealer is necessary for preserving your valuable surface. We hope that our guide on the best granite sealer has fully prepared you for finding the ideal product for your needs. Sealing granite is an easy task that offers long-lasting, tremendous results!